Edward Pond's Favourite Granola
Makes about 7 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes In the bowl: 70 minutes + cooling time
This crunchy mix is great over yogurt, mixed fruit, or just by itself. This is a large batch but in an airtight container it keeps its crunch for about a month. Making granola is a great weekend afternoon activity. After a trip to the bulk section of the grocery store, get your kids together and involved with measuring and mixing. If nuts are a no-no at your school, substitute more of another ingredient that you and your kids like best. Both oatmeal and oat bran are at the top of the list of cholesterol busters. Some studies have shown that eating just 1 ½ to 2 ½ cups of cooked oat-bran cereal daily can lower cholesterol levels as much at 20 percent. Other studies have shown that diets containing daily servings of soy protein reduce cholesterol levels and cut heart-disease risk.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup spelt flakes
- ½ cup oat bran
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup raw slivered almonds
- 1 cup defrosted shelled edamame (soya beans)
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup agave nectar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 3 cups mango slivers, dried blueberries and goji berries
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees Farenheit.
- In a very large bowl combine all dry ingredients, except for the dried fruit, and mix thoroughly. Combine agave nectar, oil, and vanilla in a small bowl and drizzle over mix while stirring to distribute evenly.
- Divide granola and spread evenly on two jelly roll pans (cookie sheets with edges). Bake for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or when the granola on the outer edges starts to brown. Continue baking until granola is golden brown.
- Let the granola cool on the pans completely. Transfer to a large bowl, breaking up any large chunks. Stir in dried fruit and then transfer to a sealed container.
Whole Wheat Pasta with Turkey Meatballs
Makes 5 servings + 1 cup for baby
Prep time: 15 minutes On the Table: 30 minutes
Tomatoes are super good for you. Mixing together roasted tomatoes with a simmered sauce boasts the antioxidant effect and can help protect you and your baby from infections. You can make the meatballs the night before so this meal is ready in no time.
- 1 small onion, grated
- ½ cup chopped basil, plus extra for garnishing
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 ¼ oz)
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp barbeque sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (in addition to the first Tbsp listed above)
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1lb whole wheat linguine
- ½ cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano
- Set the racks in your oven so that one is on the upper level and the other is in the bottom half. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion, basil, Parmesan, panko, egg, ketchup, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the turkey. Using your hands, combine all of the ingredients gently but thoroughly. Shape the meat mixture into 16 (1 ½ inch in diameter) meatballs. Chill them if you are not baking them right away.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and spread them on one of the baking sheets. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place the meatballs on the other prepared baking sheet. Bake the meatballs and the tomatoes for 20 minutes.
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the canned tomatoes. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked meat balls and roasted tomatoes (with juices) to the sauce and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions. Set aside one meatball, ½ cup each of tomato sauce and pasta for baby. Drain and place in a large serving bowl. Taste sauce and season. Top the pasta with sauce and meatballs. Toss gently and sprinkle with parsley and cheese.